From OutWorlders Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search

OutWorlders, Inc.

October 2008

The regular business meeting of OutWorlders was held on Sunday, 19 October 2008, at 2:00PM at Atlanta Diner. Vandy Beth Glenn, Aimee Love, Kris Harter, Ed Degruy, Laura Downs, Robert Marshall, Ken Fernandez, Jeff Smith, Alan Siler, Bil Boozer and Chris Hensley were present. President Degruy called the meeting to order.

Officer Reports

President’s Report

  • Nothing to report

Vice President’s Report

  • Nothing to report

Secretary’s Report

  • It is time to think about proposals for any holiday parties the OutWorlders may want to have.
  • Nominations for officers need to be made before the end of next month’s business meeting.

Treasurer’s Report

  • We have $2835.22

Events Coordinator’s Report

  • Dan’s Horror Anthology was awesome.
  • The Halloween Party will be held on October 31st.
  • Star Trek Night will have a Halloween theme.

Public Relations Coordinator’s Report

  • Not present

Internet Coordinator’s Report

  • The separate email address is more convenient. Any requests for changes or events should be sent to one of these addresses: or

Historian’s Report

  • Nothing to report

Special Interest Groups Reports

Reader’s Group

The reader’s group met Sunday, 12 October 2008, to discuss Wicked Gentlemen by Ginn Hale. We enjoyed the story and found the characters interesting, but we wanted the author to have spent more time describing the setting, in which the descendants of repentant demons are residing as second-class citizens in a Londonesque city. Our next read is On Wings of Song by Thomas Disch.

Writer’s Group

The writer’s group met Sunday, 28 September 2008, at Amanda’s house, and we decided to resume the group beginning in January and meeting alternate months thereafter. In the mean time, we are looking into the possibility of having the meetings at a location deemed more convenient to potential members, such as the Borders Bookstore at Peachtree and Roxboro. Our next meeting is scheduled for Sunday, 25 January 2009, at a time to be determined.

Strategy Gaming

Aimee hosted this month; seven people came for a day of great games! Brent is hosting next month.

New Business

  • A proposal was made by Alan Siler: I propose that the OutWorlders supply $50.00 for extra food and supplies for a Doctor Who 45th Anniversary party to be held on Saturday, November 22, 2008, the evening before the actual anniversary date
  • Because of the anniversary party mentioned above and Outlatacon, Doctor Who night will not be held on it’s normal date which would have been November 8, 2008
  • Robert Marshall volunteered to be election coordinator
  • Nominations can be made until the end of the business meeting on November 16, 2008
  • The current officers were nominated for 2009. Chris Hensley declined the nomination.
  • The following people were nominated for 2009 officers, accepted the nominations and their nominations were seconded. President, Ed Degruy. Vice-President, Dan Benge. Treasurer, Jeff Smith. Secretary, Vandy Beth Glenn
  • Wayne Wilkening, Speaker of the Gaylactic Network, emailed Wm S Boozer to tell him the Network’s charter no longer requires that potential organizational members change their name to become members of the network. Now, it merely encourages them to do so. Unless, there is no strong objection, Wm intends to prepare a proposal for membership into the Network by collaborating with the historian and events coordinator.
  • Aimee Love will host the Thanksgiving party, which will incorporate the fall picnic. There is a $75.00 budget for the fall picnic that will be used for the party.
  • JD Harvill would like to host the Christmas Party.
  • Would anyone like to coordinate a party at Chattacon and/or donate a room for the party?

Old Business

  • The proposal that the OutWorlders purchase a 5-gallon drink dispenser passed.
  • Outlantacon may have a hotel soon
  • One design has been submitted so far for a T-shirt design. We need to determine the minimum number of units we would need to order and the price of the T-shirts.

The meeting adjourned at 2:34PM

Respectfully submitted by Chris Hensley, Secretary, Atlanta Outworlders.