From OutWorlders Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search

OutWorlders, Inc. 

February 2008

The regular business meeting of OutWorlders was held on Sunday, 17 February, 2008 at 2:00p.m. at Atlanta Diner. Edward Degruy, Kris Harter, Jeff Smith, Dan Benge, Carlton Harrington, Alan Siler and Chris Hensley were present. The meeting was called to order by President Degruy.

Officer Reports

President’s Report

  • Nothing to report

Vice President’s Report

  • Nothing to report

Secretary’s Report

  • Nothing to report

Treasurer’s Report

  • We have $2843.56
  • The Pride booth has been paid for and the annual registration with the State has been paid.

Events Coordinator’s Report

  • “Prisoner” Night was held last night, 16 February, 2008 and was successful

Public Relations Coordinator’s Report

  • Continuing to work on the Promotional Package for 2008

Internet Coordinator’s Report

  • Not present

Historian’s Report

  • Nothing to report

Special Interest Groups Reports

OutWorld Writers (Bil)

  • The writers’ group meeting for January was canceled. The group is scheduled to meet on 24 February 2008, and we are probably going to move the meeting to a different location this month, but we haven’t ironed out all those details. I will send an announcement to the writers’ group list when we do.

OutWorld Readers (Bil)

  • For February, the readers’ group read HERO by Perry Moore. This is a young adult book about a boy discovering his super-powered abilities while trying to hide his sexual orientation from his father and the rest of the world. Several of us found the book interesting, even though it was filled with cliches and thought the plot was not original. The protagonist was frequently annoying whiny, a common characteristic among young adult literature. We found the book more entertaining than not, and it was a quick read.
  • Our next meeting is Sunday, 09 March 2008, and our book for March is Born on a Blue Day by Daniel Tammet.
  • Our April book is Death’s Master by Tanith Lee. (This book is out of print, so start your searching early. It is the 2nd book in the Flat Earth series, but Wendy tells us the books are independent of each other.)
  • Our May book is As Meat Loves Salt by Maria McCann

Gaylactic Outpost

  • Nothing to Report

New Business

  • Would we like to have a table to promote the Outworlders at the Sci-Fi Summer convention? This was discussed and no one was interested in arranging or spending time manning the table.
  • Would we like to have a table to promote the Outworlders at Timegate? Carlton Harrington and Chris Hensley volunteered to arrange the table and provide staffing.
  • Would we like to have a room party at the Sci-Fi Summer convention? This was discussed and no one was interested in having the party.
  • Would we like to have a room party at Timegate? We decided we would like to have a party at Timegate and will discuss it further at later meetings.
  • Edward forgot to mention Frolicon. Does anyone want to have a OW party there? They do not offer tables for fan groups. Is this con genre enough to use a party as a OW promotion tool? The con is March 20-23.
  • We would like to get together for the following upcoming movie releases:
  • Premieres 14 March, 2008: Dr. Seuss’ Horton Hears A Who-No one has offered to coordinate this event
  • Premieres 2 May, 2008: Iron Man-Edward Degruy will coordinate this event
  • Premieres 9 May, 2008: Speed Racer-Dan Benge will coordinate this event
  • Premieres 16 May, 2008: Prince Caspian-Carlton Harrington will coordinate this event
  • Premieres 23 May, 2008: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull-No one has offered to coordinate this event
  • There is $75 budgeted for the Spring Picnic and it is tentatively scheduled for the 26th or 27th of April
  • Would we like to have a group outing to the Georgia Renaissance Festival? Chris Hensley will research and provide more information to the group

Old Business

  • Alan Siler made a proposal at the December 2007 business meeting that $40 be used for the Dr Who Night Seventh Anniversary. A vote was held and the proposal passed.
  • There was discussion about the proposal for $100 for the 2007 Christmas party. This was never put up for a vote and we are still debating it. Receipts for the party expenses are missing and those must be found in order to vote on the proposal.

The meeting adjourned at 2:43p.m.

Respectfully submitted by Chris Hensley, Secretary, Atlanta Outworlders.